The City Police foiled the "Mangaluru Chalo" bike rally organised by BJP Yuva Morcha from Mysuru to Mangaluru, here this morning. A number of leaders and party workers were arrested and taken to Gorakshanath Hall at Kadri by the police during a public meeting.
Numerous BJP cadres and senior party leaders, including Udupi-Chikkamagaluru MP Shobha Karandlaje, Mysuru-Kodagu MP Pratap Simha, former Karnataka Home Minister and Yeddyurappa loyalist R Ashok, were among several party leaders who were detained by the Mangaluru Police. This was in an attempt to protest against the alleged political killings of its men in the Dakshina Kannada district of the Congress-ruled state.
Though the BJP leaders were allowed to hold a meeting in Mangalore, police did not give permission to organise the bike rally which was named as "Mangalore Chalo". "Yeddyurappa is here, do not worry", Ashoka said.
Police were forced to resort to mild lathi-charge at some places to prevent the workers and they were taken in the buses to remote places.
Karnataka police, September 5, arrested more than 300 BJP workers to stop them from converging in Mangaluru to carry out the rally.
Mangaluru: Hundreds of BJP leaders and workers were taken into custody by the police when they tried to take out a bike rally defying prohibitory orders clamped near Jyothi Circle here today.
Ahead of Assembly elections scheduled for 2018, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, while branding the BJP protests as a part of "divisive politics", said he feared the bike rally might trigger communal tension in the state.
- Gold soars, North Korea tensions rise: Aus shares to open higher
- Everton striker Rooney will ditch booze for Coleen and Koeman
- Oregon Police: Teen suspected of starting Eagle Creek Fire cooperating with investigators
- Nonstop Flights From Indy to Paris Taking Off in 2018
- North Korea Sends Delegation to Russian Federation for Forum with South Korean President
- Newell Brands Cuts 2017 Normalized EPS View
- Alexis Sanchez: I am exhausted of criticism
- Latest Rumours on Philippe Coutinho, Emre Can Contract
- China military holds drills in waters near Korean Peninsula
- Cancer probe distinguishes cancer from healthy tissue during surgery