That price is the same as yesterday and is 28 cents more per gallon compared to this day last week.
The rising prices are the result of disruption to "the entire supply chain" caused by Hurricane Harvey even though "California's gasoline and oil supplies do not come from the Gulf Coast", said Jeffrey Spring, the Automobile Club of Southern California's corporate communications manager.
The average price of a gallon of self-serve regular gasoline in the Inland Empire rose today to its highest amount since September 22, 2015, increasing nine-tenths of a cent to $3.111.
Overall, gas prices are pennies away from topping the highest price ($2.67, August 15-18, 2015) Americans have paid for a gallon of gas in more than two years.
AAA Texas Weekend Gas Watch said drivers in Dallas are paying the most on average at $2.67 per gallon, while motorists in Amarillo are paying $2.37 per gallon.
"Right now it's all eyes on Irma to see where gas prices are going to go", said Hawkins.
While there is no fuel supply shortage, the state is working to overcome distribution problems - including not having enough drivers and equipment to distribute fuel.
Hawkins said refineries are in the process of restarting and about 10 percent of the Gulf Coast refining capabilities are back on line. At its peak, Harvey shuttered 27% of US processing capacity. At least four refineries are operating at reduced rates, though none have returned to normal.
Many airlines, hotel and travel providers have already implemented change and cancellation policies specific to Hurricane Irma.
As the recovery effort for Harvey is underway, Hurricane Irma, now a Category 5 hurricane, is rolling toward the U.S. The National Hurricane Center expects Irma to arrive in the Florida Peninsula and the Florida Keys this weekend.
The spike in gas prices had been expected.
- Rocori School District Backs Down from Flag Ban after Protests
- Police fatally shoot man in Bronx; officers taken to hospital
- Ex-Dividend Reminder: Dick's Sporting Goods, Big Lots and CBS
- Mattis, Tillerson detail Trump's North Korea strategy
- South Korea displays military strength amid North Korean crisis
- Buzzer within Investors Radar:- Brookdale Senior Living Inc. (BKD)
- Oklahoma Sooners vs Ohio State Buckeyes
- Russian Federation does not accept DPRK's nuclear status: Putin
- Putin thinks N.Korea crisis will not go nuclear, diplomacy to prevail
- Churches offer shelter from Hurricane Irma