No matter what you're streaming, you'll be doing it with lower latency, or less of a delay between when you broadcast the video and when people actually see the feed. YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki recently revealed that the service's improvements of its live streaming feature have resulted in viewing times for those streams quadrupling year-over-year.
Live streaming is not always as "live" as it looks because there is a certain delay in the process.
As live streaming competition continues to heat up, YouTube is adding new features that make broadcasting content not just easier, but faster. (YouTube already offers "normal" and "low latency" buffering options).
Another new tool is the ability to opt-in to YouTube's flagging system, which monitors and holds potentially inappropriate comments automatically until the streamer (or appointed moderator) approves, rejects or reports it. Twitch has similar moderation tools, but the streaming platform also allows its users to delay the posting of messages and create individual rules that chatters must abide by. The first is inline moderation, which allows a streamer to pause the chat feed to remove or approve comments with a single click. When enabled, chat messages identified by YouTube's algorithms will be held from posting on your streams right away. All of these upgrades and features focus on the interactions between the two parties, and many are fan-requested updates that have been in the works over the last few weeks. Users will also be able to use their phone's microphone and front-facing camera to add audio and video commentary to the stream.
Finally, YouTube will let iOS users stream exactly what's appearing on their iPhone screens by adding support for the flagship YouTube app to Apple's ReplayKit. These new YouTube Live features should be rolling out to streamers today, so go have a look for yourself. Also, users can delegate a moderator for their live chat to flag or hide messages.
- Cisco Systems, Inc. (CSCO) Position Increased by Murphy Capital Management Inc
- Ex-aide to Israeli PM arrested in submarine probe
- The QUALCOMM, Inc. (QCOM) Position Decreased by Doheny Asset Management CA
- Pinnacle Associates Ltd. Has $6.07 Million Position in Freeport-McMoran, Inc. (FCX)
- ELN ceasefire to begin on October 1
- Great British Bake Off: Viewing figures down following Channel 4 move
- 'England Star Motivated By Messi & Ronaldo'
- 'Who's That Girl' Round I: Madonna vs. FedEx
- Traders Focused Stock: ConAgra Foods, Inc. (CAG)
- Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:ALXN) Closed 6.9% Above Its 50 Day Average