Trade press and websites had been speculating that Trevorrow, 40, was going to leave the blockbuster since the opening of his critically-panned commercial flop The Book of Henry. "Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX", Disney's Lucasfilm said in an incredibly short announcement.
Waititi made his stance known in somewhat flippant fashion on Twitter after someone else brought the fact that Star Wars: Episode IX needs a new director to Waititi's attention.
"Star Wars: Episode IX" is now set for release on May 24, 2019 and will be the follow up to the upcoming "Star Wars: The Last Jedi", which opens in December. Marvel has let go of directors such as as Patty Jenkins (from "Thor" 2) and Edgar Wright (from "Ant-Man") over creative differences.
Ron Howard replaced Phil Lord and Chris Miller on the Han Solo spinoff in June; while Tony Gilroy took over for Gareth Edwards on last year's Rogue One.
And not unlike how Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige steers that larger cinematic universe, Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy now has her firm hand on navigating the visions for "Star Wars" films.
The search is now on for a replacement with Deadline reporting that Star Wars: The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson currently topping the list. Although that turned out not to be true, he and Trevorrow reportedly worked closely to ensure continuity between the two films. There's still a bit of breathing room for Episode IX's production, but not that much on such a massive, effects-heavy franchise. "I'm not a 'Star Wars" cultist (far from it), but to a degree I get their trepidation".
- Argentina World Cup qualifying struggles continue
- Price Target Estimates for Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (APC)
- Trump greets, feeds survivors of Hurricane Harvey in Houston
- Trump consults with UK, Australia leaders on North Korea
- USA taps crude from strategic reserves to cope with Hurricane Harvey
- Lord Ganesha with other gods in lamb ad in Australia sparks outrage
- Trump's approval rating in NY drops to new low
- Evacuations expected in Miami-Dade County due to threat of Hurricane Irma
- Rublev to face Nadal
- Petition calls for renaming Highway 99 after JJ Watt