In a matter of days, students across the province will be walking, bicycling, bussing and even driving their way back to the classroom. Speed limits in school zones are 30km/h from 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Drivers should familiarize themselves with the specific times during the school day when the school zones in their area are in effect. Vehicles approaching from both directions must stop for school buses when their lights are flashing. Drivers must stop too.
During the 2016-17 school year, the city's traffic safety office issued more than 53,000 photo radar tickets to drivers speeding near schools, while police handed more than 3,300 tickets to offenders.
He stressed the importance of driving without distractions. Always look for pedestrians when you're backing up.
"It is a thrilling time for the students and they may forget basic road safety when they walk, bike, or ride the bus to school", a press release noted.
When parents are dropping off their children in school zones, they should let them exit the vehicle on the side closest to the sidewalk, not into the road.
"You also want to make sure that you get off the bike, the scooter or skateboard when you cross the street to show that you have full intention [to cross]".
· In the dim early morning hours or on dark evenings, wear brightly-coloured clothing, a reflective arm band or clothing with reflective strips which will help you to be seen by motorists. In the Southern Interior, two children walking or cycling (aged five to 18) are killed and 43 are injured in crashes every year.
Students should also be encouraged to stay unplugged during the walk to and from school.
Always use crosswalks and pedestrian-activated signals when they are available and cross only at intersections if they are not.
· Discourage your child from taking shortcuts through parking lots or jaywalking to and from school. If you don't stop it's a $368 fine. Show them a safe place where they may wait to catch the bus.
- 'Increasing chance' Hurricane Irma could impact Florida; Scott declares state of emergency
- Food workers strike in St. Paul for $15 minimum wage
- Range Resources Corp (NYSE:RRC) Institutional Investors Sentiment Improved in 2016 Q4
- Fewer Traffic Deaths in MO This Labor Day
- As storm displaces east Texas animals, El Paso steps in to help
- Ryanair has scrapped its free 10kg carry-on bag policy
- New US citizens react to DACA shutdown
- USA stock market jittery over worries about North Korea's missiles, Hurricane Irma
- Kate Middleton Is Suffering from Hyperemesis Gravidarum During Her Third Pregnancy
- Wales Go Second After Dramatic Late Victory In Moldova