Locally, a way to raise awareness and help in the cause of suicide prevention takes place on Saturday, Sept. 9, when the second annual Carroll County Out of the Darkness Walk is set for Krimgold Park in Woodbine.
For more information regarding the Suicide Prevention Task Force, visit www.gvhp.org, or like the organization on Facebook. "I would do whatever I could to support this so no other family has to go through the struggle that my family had to go through", Patti Lynch told us.
There were more than twice as many suicides as there were homicides in the United States in 2015 (44,193 vs. 17,793).
The nation's suicide rate has retreated from a peak of 16.8 suicides per 100,000 people in 2006, according to center data.
Lori Barnard-Lowe is the Carroll County walk co-chair. Barnard-Lowe told us that they raised more than $42,000 a year ago with more than 500 walkers participating. Past year they helped improve bereavement support and introduced new training programmes. It is important to ensure that individuals, friends, and families have access to the resources they need to address suicide prevention. Social connectedness reduces the risk of suicide while communication reduces the stigma so that people may seek out help without shame or judgement. "Talk to them. Ask direct questions".
Organized by Entercom, the suicide prevention and mental health awareness event is also slated to feature Metallica, Halsey, Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic, Alice in Chains' William DuVall, Bleachers' Jack Antonoff, Disturbed's David Draiman, and Logic's "1-800-273-8255" co-star Khalid, among others. Interested locals can turn up on the day or pre-register for the walk.
Registration begins at 7:30 in the morning.
- England to host India for 5 Tests, 3 ODIs & T20Is in 2018
- Ryanair has scrapped its free 10kg carry-on bag policy
- ZTE launches Blade A2S with 13MP rear camera
- Badgers hold steady at No. 9 in latest AP poll
- Food workers strike in St. Paul for $15 minimum wage
- Lenovo K8 Plus Unveiled with Dual Cameras, Multimedia Experience, Huge Battery
- Kate Middleton Is Suffering from Hyperemesis Gravidarum During Her Third Pregnancy
- Britain's Bell Pottinger explores sale options after S. Africa scandal
- USA stock market jittery over worries about North Korea's missiles, Hurricane Irma
- Colombia vs Brazil live streaming free