Wednesday, 17 October 2018
Latest news
Main » Oregon's Eagle Creek Fire jumps river and ignites fire on Washington side

Oregon's Eagle Creek Fire jumps river and ignites fire on Washington side

06 September 2017

The information released by police matches descriptions from multiple witnesses who have spoken with the media in the days since the start of the fire.

"It's a special place for all - a landmark that's said to be the most photographed spot in OR", said Forest Grove Fire Marshal Dave Nemeyer.

The fire spread 13 miles in 16 hours, pushed by winds overnight that ranged from 30 mph to 40 mph in tinder-dry conditions, Brown said.

Level 3 (GO NOW) evacuations were put in place for the communities of Dodson and Warrendale.

Hundreds of people have been forced to evacuate because of a massive fire that started Saturday.

A forest fire in OR that stranded more than 150 hikers is growing, leading to evacuations, road and school closures and warnings about air quality.

The investigation surrounding the Eagle Creek Fire was ongoing.

The Hood River County Sheriff upgraded all Level 1 (Get Ready) notices in Cascade Locks to Level 2 (Get Set). Fire officials said high winds and low visibility meant they could only offer a "low estimate" of the size of the fire - about 10,000 acres.

Evacuation orders remained for parts of OR on September 5 as the Eagle Creek Fire spread to 4,800 acres, official reports said. Meanwhile, dozens of other fires are blazing around the state.

Interstate 84 from Troutdale to Hood River, Oregon, remains closed. Fire officials are monitoring for hot spots at the Lava Camp campground area, but it the fire has been contained.

Residents in other areas of Corbett are subject to a level 1 order, meaning they should prepare their possessions in case of evacuation. Deputy Joel Ives told The Associated Press no hikers were missing but one hiker was taken out by ambulance for exhaustion and dehydration.

Numerous walkers were forced to spend the night outside near Tunnel Falls after a fire broke out near the Columbia River Gorge trail.

The only way to get the hikers out was through a longer, more hard 14-mile route. Authorities told them to "shelter in place", so they hunkered down near Tunnel Falls for an unplanned night in the wilderness with a heavy layer of smoke for a blanket. Mountain Wave Search & Rescue dropped supplies to the hikers.

Mountain Wave Search and Rescue president Russ Gubele says search and rescue teams were walking the hikers out toward Wahtum Lake.

"It was just too smoky over there", Gunn said.

The fire has burned between 50 and 100 acres since it broke out at about 1 p.m. on Saturday. It's like a Mount Saint Helens eruption all over again'.

By Sunday, the Oregon National Guard had rescued all 153 hikers.

Oregon's Eagle Creek Fire jumps river and ignites fire on Washington side