Seattle is phasing in a $15 minimum wage; it now stands at $11. "It's for everyday people". The sentiment that workers need to be united was echoed in Kansas City, where McDonald's employee Kenya Banks shared how her close encounter with death on the job pushed her to strike.
"We deserve 15 and we deserve a union", said Marion. "An opportunity for economic equality as well". "That and union rights", said Richard Grimes, who works at a Burger King in Hartford. At least 72 percent of the top 25 Fortune 500 companies count DACA recipients among their employees, the letter said.
Pittsburgh rally-goer Mercedes Pillette said her life would be affected, as well. "Rent, our bills, cost of living, but what we make an hour stays the same".
Wise is a father to three children who has worked in the fast food industry for 20 years.
Nevada State Senator Yvanna Cancela disagrees.
"We identify strongly with Fight for 15 and a union, because we are also in a similar situation where our employer simply doesn't think that we have the right to a union, so, like them, we have to organize in nontraditional ways", said Mike Burrows, a graduate student in public policy and an organizer with the Graduate Student Union at Duke University.
Rauner defended his decision to veto the bill in a signing statement, saying that he is willing to look for solutions to grow the economy, but that raising the minimum wage would have unintended, and negative, side effects.
Sandoval said the increase would make goods and services more expensive and there would be fewer jobs available. The Labor Day protest is set to begin at the Tremont Street McDonald's at 6 a.m. Monday and will be followed by a rally.
Many demonstrators also used their platform to help people on DACA status.
- Al Wilson, Calvin Johnson announced as honorary captains for Tennessee-Georgia Tech
- USA crude rises as refineries return; gasoline slumps to pre-Harvey levels
- Malayalam actor Dileep back in jail after performing father's rites
- White House rescinding 'unconstitutional' DACA program
- Ann Coulter: Trump can't blame Congress if he fails to build wall
- Del Potro overcomes early struggles to advance at US Open
- Supes mull local health emergency due to smoke
- Colombia vs Brazil live streaming free
- Ryanair has scrapped its free 10kg carry-on bag policy
- Oregon's Eagle Creek Fire jumps river and ignites fire on Washington side