It's now day five since the summer transfer window closed. Let us know in the comments section below.
Barkley took to Twitter after the collapse of the Chelsea deal, and wrote: "I simply decided that due to my injury, it would be best to make a decision on my future and assess all my options in January when fully fit".
A few days later, the truth behind those rumours is starting to filter out.
And, according to former Manchester City midfielder Barton, were it not for Conte turning his phone off last week, Barkley could be plying his trade at Stamford Bridge this season.
As Barkley has just a year remaining on his current contract and turned down the opportunity to sign a new deal, the Toffees were looking to offload him and accepted a £35 million bid from Chelsea.
The Times on Tuesday have dug into Chelsea's attempts to land Barkley on deadline day.
The Times has learnt that Chelsea made a decision to keep the head coach away from transfer negotiations after his unsuccessful talks with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain the same week, which ended with the Arsenal midfielder opting to join Liverpool.
Matt Hughes of the Times writes that Conte was "kept out" of the Barkley negotiations after "his unsuccessful talks" with Oxlade-Chamberlain.
Click through the mini-gallery above to see six players Chelsea failed to sign in the recent window!
Even Drinkwater's transfer was conducted by technical director Michael Emenalo and director Marina Granovskaia rather than Conte, although the Italian is believed to have had a hand in bringing in Zappacosta - having handed the Torino man his first Italy cap in 2016.
The Times also note that Chelsea are set to try to sign Barkley in January.
- Cambodia Daily branded 'a thief', forced to close over tax fight
- John Lewis scraps 'boys' and 'girls' labels from children's clothing
- Celtics add 2020 second-rounder to complete Kyrie Irving blockbuster trade
- After North Korea missile, Britain and Japan agree closer security ties
- Sitharaman, Goyal biggest gainers in Cabinet reshuffle
- Harvey Turns More Attention to NFIP Renewal Need
- SC stays insolvency proceedings against Jaypee, gives homebuyers first right
- What is Labor Day?
- British PM Theresa May Attends Top Security Meeting In Japan
- Trump taps emergency USA oil reserve after Harvey