The Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans won't be a part of Week 4 of the 2017 preseason after the National Football League canceled their game because of Hurricane Harvey. Alexander pledged $4 million to Houston mayor Sylvester Turner's Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund on Monday before announcing that he'd donate $10 million to help flood victims. "We also hope our actions will encourage others to do whatever they can to help their neighbors in need right now".
The NFL and the Texans will continue to closely monitor the situation in Houston and adjust the team's plans as necessary. Now Houston is dealing with massive flooding from Hurricane Harvey, which made landfall on the Texas Gulf Coast on Friday and has barely moved.
We're going to play for the City of Houston. "We have so many players distracted by what's been happening in Houston that it became increasingly hard to ask them to play the game". The team announced the donation on Monday as the relocated Texans were in suburban Dallas, practicing at the Cowboys' practice facility.
After the Texans played their preseason game in New Orleans last weekend, they went to North Texas instead of home after the storm.
When Texans star J.J. Watt was asked Monday whether the game should be cancelled entirely, he said there were "much bigger things at hand". "Everybody here is obviously most concerned about their families, their friends, the City of Houston back home". These stories have inspired us, as we always encourage bringing communities together, building bridges and helping others. The online fundraiser passed $6 million on Wednesday afternoon. "I can't say thank you enough to the Titans organization and everyone over there". It's not just the Houston area.
All tickets to the game - in any section - will be $25, and game proceeds, including contributions from both clubs and the players, will be donated to the United Way of Greater Houston Relief Fund that supports the efforts of the American Red Cross and The Salvation Army for Harvey relief and recovery.
- LSU defense smothers BYU in 27-0 win
- Republic of Ireland frustrated by Georgia in World Cup qualifying
- New entrant in union Cabinet, KJ Aphons an inspiration for country's youth
- Leah Remini claims Scientology pressured her to convert Kevin James
- Change Tory song, not just the singer, says Heseltine
- Mikel says he wants to qualify Nigeria to World Cup, AFCON
- Ross Barkley: Everton midfielder rejects Chelsea move
- Britain's last hope Kyle Edmund limps out of US Open
- Bangladesh vs Australia. 2nd Test: Bangladesh look to make history in Chittagong
- Rooney charged with driving under the influence