Hundreds of Texans have filed price gouging complaints related to Hurricane Harvey, leading to at least nine civil investigative demands by the Texas Attorney General's office as of Tuesday afternoon with more to come, according to the office.
Some businesses have been selling cases of water for $99, with individual bottles going for $8.50, Paxton's spokeswoman, Kayleigh Lovvorn, told The Washington Post.
To view the full article, register now.
The attorney general's office warned consumers to "be on your guard" in a statement on its website.
Speaking on Fox News on Saturday, Paxton said that the consequences for price gouging are heavy.
"The attorney general of Texas is taking swift and aggressive action to prosecute price gouging", Abbottt said.
Anyone who does so can be hit with a $20,000 fine per occurrence, or up to $250,000 if the victim is someone age 65 or older.
They added that this was not an excuse but an explanation for the error. "We expect more complaints in the wake of the storm regarding home fix and construction fraud/price gouging". "If you price gouge anybody, you could be subject to penalties of up to $25,000 per incident".
Check for signs of flood damage, like water stains, mud or mildew in the vehicle's interior, a musty scent or perfume meant a strong to mask odors, and premature rust in areas you wouldn't expect. "The mistake was made when employees priced a case of water using the single-bottle price for each bottle in the case", the spokesperson from Best Buy concluded. "This was a big mistake on the part of a few exployees at one store". We're sorry and it won't happen again.
A crew member for news station KXAN also pointed out that they were charged $289.99 for a room in Houston when rates are normally $119 a night. As a result, we are immediately severing any affiliation with the hotel.
- Tiger-Cats CEO: 'We underestimated' backlash to Briles hiring
- Duterte declares September 1 regular holiday
- Cortana, Meet Alexa: Digital Assistants Will Talk to Each Other
- All-new Porsche Cayenne Picture Gallery
- PlayStation Plus games for September 2017 confirmed
- Melania Trump Commends Texans For Compassion After Visit To Hurricane-Hit State
- Reese Witherspoon set to guest star on 'The Mindy Project' season 6
- Will US Gasoline Demand Impact Gasoline and Crude Oil Futures?
- Best Buy Apologizes Over $42 Case Of Water Amid Harvey
- Kanye West faces Saint Pablo Tour lawsuit