"Seeing how people in Texas responded and helped us in a disaster kind of tugged at my heart".
The group consists of fearless and selfless men and women "who own boats and go out into flooded areas to help stranded people and perform other relief services" that require the use of boats.
While a few people resort to crime, far more people rise to the occasion in these types of situations. "I think the driving force to keep us going is the hugs, the kisses, the gratitude that we're shown". The volunteers we had been shadowing had a 200 horse-power boat, which the police commandeered out of necessity.
"Looters chose to pose as people needing rescue and they attempted to overtake the boats and there were shots fired at the boats", the post said. Once the truck is full, we drive them to emergency shelters that the Coast Guard has set up, where a medical team evaluates them, and we head back out to do it all over again.
"There are hundreds of volunteers and we've already made hundreds of rescues. But if there is any good to come out of this horror, it's being able to watch just average Americans pull together and do extraordinary things", says Kennedy. "Our goal is to help people get out if they are trapped". There are always a few people who don't want to leave their homes, though.
"We jumped out and got her and gave her compressions right there in the water".
"Last night on the news I saw one apartment complex with 1,000 residents, and that whole complex was underwater", he said Monday afternoon in a phone interview on the road. Once they knew they wanted to do something, they had to ask themselves how they could help.
Sue Madison has four feet of water in her home. "We were hoping that it wouldn't happen, but it did". Finding floods as bad as this didn't hinder our operation at all, but I was taken aback.
"The first-responders aren't big enough to do this", Honore said of the ongoing Houston relief effort. "It'll handle probably six to eight people real well", McGinnis said, noting the boat is propelled by a 150-hp motor. "We have been given the GREEN LIGHT to enter your area", the group's leader wrote in a Facebook group dedicated to rebuilding efforts in Houston.
- Vontaze Burfict's Five-Game Suspension to be Reduced to Three Games
- Auto Industry Disappointed With Additional Cess On Larger Cars, SUVs
- Microsoft And Amazon Have Integrated Cortana And Alexa
- Chelsea set to sign Danny Drinkwater
- Domino's and Ford to test pizza delivery by self-driving cars
- Japan wary of Sea Shepherd's tactics
- Here's what's going to replace the Home button on iPhone 8
- Muslims Prepare for Hajj Pilgrimage
- No. 1 Alabama Prepares to Face No. 3 Florida State
- Modi govt unveils Army reforms blueprint with redeployment of 57000 officers