The rains are in full spate in the city and if the weather department is to be believed, you can expect more showers throughout the day as well as in the next 48 hours.
The Mumbaikars are celebrating Ganpati Mahotsav and these heavy rains have made the weather pleasant which has infused more zeal the people. There were also the only-too-familiar sites of thick branches nestling on shattered windshields or dented vehicle tops. Water is filled in a lot of areas and Santacruz alone.
There are traffic jams across the city, with roads closed, traffic diverted due to water logging.
The BMC Control Room and disaster management teams have also been put on high alert.
Water has also entered the corridors of the King Edward Memorial civic hospital in Parel.
In the last 35 hours, Colaba has received 125 mm rain, CST 268 mm rain, Dadar 186 mm, Ghatkopar 195 mm, Mulund 143 mm, Bandra 178 mm, Andheri 158 mm, and Borivali 146 mm. "Between 8.30 am and 12 pm today, the city received 85 mm rainfall", Sudhir Naik, Deputy Municipal Commissioner, told PTI.
Many parts of Mumbai and suburbs were inundated with upto three to four feet of water, on the highways, main and arterial roads, bylanes, housing complexes, railway stations and even the Mumbai Airport.
"Despite heavy downpour, no untoward incident has been reported so far", said the official. Heavy rain coming.Plan ahead.
"Flights were delayed by around 20 minutes", added Veena Chiplunkar, a spokeswoman for the Mumbai International Airport. Services were also stopped in some areas due to flooded tracks.
Lakhs of commuters were stranded in trains, railway stations or at bus stops. The derailment of the Nagpur-Mumbai Duronto Express also contributed to the delay along the central line and harbour line.
Road, rail and air traffic have been widely disrupted in the city due to the heavy rains, accompanied by strong winds, officials said Tuesday.
- Domino's Pizza Group PLC
- Expected to sit again Tuesday
- Reservoirs rising even after release of floodwater in west Harris Co
- WhatsApp will soon have verified accounts for businesses with green tick
- Nursing home residents evacuated from Harvey flood waters
- Now, 7 coaches of Duronto Express derailed near Titwala
- AIADMK Legislators to meet President seeking removal of TN CM: Selvan
- Halo VR and Steam Content Heading to Microsoft's Mixed Reality Headsets
- Celtic re-sign Patrick Roberts on loan
- DisplayMate gives Samsung Galaxy Note 8 display highest ever rating